Topic: New Online Knowledge Center

Hello All,

I've created an online version of the user documentation for NWare, NION, Cab4, Pandad, etc., which is available here:

http://www.peaveyoxford.com/kc

Please take a couple of minutes to have a look at it and send me your feedback. My intention is that we link to it from the http://mm.peavey.com/ site when we're happy for it to go live.

Features of interest
=============

Internet Explorer users will be able to create a list of favourite topics on the "Favorites" tab, which makes it easier to jump quickly to the topics you view the most, like keyboard shortcut lists, release notes, etc. (Each favourite is stored in a cookie.)

The "Advanced" option on the Search tab allows you to choose the types of topics you want to search - either intro (for descriptive information), how-to (for stepped procedures) or reference (for quick definitions, etc.) Using these categories helps narrow down the search, which searches all types of topics by default.

The intention is that the Knowledge Center will always contain the latest user documentation (and not be tied to a particular version of NWare, for example), plus FAQs, white papers, tips and hints, etc., when they become available.

Best regards,

Andy Spender
Technical Author
Peavey Oxford, UK
aspender@peavey-eu.com

Re: New Online Knowledge Center

Hi Andy,
The Knowledge CentRE (did the States win on this?) looks great.

I did find that the jumps from the Manual Set table led me to the top of the document, but not instinctively to the first page. Should it go to a copy of the contents of that doc? Also is "Manual Set" the right label? Is Manual different to Guide?

Also, glad you're on deck! I had let you predecessor know that I'd be happy to assist with proofing if you want.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Hi,

Yes, the US won! Actually, the question of UK or US spelling was one of the first ones I asked when I arrived in December 2007. I decided to follow the software UI conventions and what had been done already in the current user guides, which was to use US spelling.

The manual set jumps go to the very first page of each manual, which is a simple cover page. In order to see the contents for the manual, you need to click the Contents button to sync the contents tree, then expand the tree under the manual book. I could add a summary of the contents (with links) to each cover page, to get readers started.

Yes, the terms "guide" and "manual" are both used to mean the same thing (perhaps I should stick to one term to be consistent...)

As you asked about proofing, I can't resist taking you up on the offer. Yes, please email me your comments on the current content (aspender@peavey-eu.com). If there are obvious omissions, errors, "enhancement opportunities", top 10 things people keep asking for more help on, etc., I'd like to hear about them. The feedback is much appreciated.

Andy.

Hi,

Like the large section on ConMan hardware! Is there anything we should know?

Also, in the SNMP section the text states that hovering the mouse over the tree will bring up descriptions, this doesn't happen for me.

Regards,

Hi,

Do you have some specific questions about ConMan hardware? I'd be glad to pass them on to the development team.

Could you please tell me the title of the SNMP topic which describes the display of descriptions for the tree view, so I can investigate it? Actually, if you could give me the file name of the topic, that would be even better. If you right-click the topic and view the source, the file name will be shown at the top of the edit window. It'll be a number like 1813[1], for example.

Best regards,

Andy Spender
Technical Author
Peavey Oxford, UK
aspender@peavey-eu.com

Hi,

It was just a siurce of amusement as I wasn't aware of any ConMan hardware available from Peavey in this little old island.

The SNMP topic is "What Can I Access" which is 2331.htm

Regards,
Richard

Hi,

Although only recently added to the Knowledge Center, the documentation for ConMan was written a while ago, so I guess it is describing what's already available.

Thanks. I've corrected the SNMP topic. The change will be live in a future version.

Andy.