Topic: Things we don't understand about NWare

Hello everyone,

With this thread, I'm hoping to generate discussion of all the small "features" of NWare that we don't understand so that I can get a detailed list together and then get the appropriate information from the former Peak employees before the end of this month.

So, please post anything along this vein under this heading and I will post their answers.

Re: Things we don't understand about NWare

Steve and I have discussed the possibility of hiding the detectors (Advanced folder) that are not used by any of the other devices -- Peak Square, Maximum, and Maximum Interpolated.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I believe that everything in any advanced folder should be hidden in the default Personality, and be seen in the nion++ Personality.  Move the Signal Probe, DTMF, Generators, and the Wave File devices to a new folder called Tools (with a note reminding that all DSP devices require DSP to fully function).  The AEC devices would be added to this folder when they are ready.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

ConMan.
I'm not sure where this is at in terms of development, but documentation on what it can do, and how to do it would be great.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

It would be good to know what the advanced DSP devices do and their parameters.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

Signal flyoffs on the CABS and Nion should be allowed to be renamed.

E.B.A.  It's a way of life!

One of the first things I do when starting a project is to create a naming system for the I/O and create flyoffs according to that system. I usually create a distinct page that wires the NioNode flyoffs to flyoffs named by their source or destination device. I then only reference these new flyoffs in the project. Similar to renaming, but keeps the original system flyoffs intact should I need to track something down. As far as CAB flyoffs, they are CobraNet devices and don't have their own flyoffs but are rather accessed indirectly via the receiving or transmitting NioNode.

These flyoffs are "static" flyoffs for a reason, they are connected to "node blocks" that look just like the blocks from MWare on a hidden page.  If the names could be changed, they would no longer be connected to those hidden blocks.

So, as Jason suggests, creating an I/O page and a "friendly name" scheme is high on the list of "best practices".  Using "expression labeling" by highlighting your new flyoffs, and then pressing Ctrl+Shift+F to quickly create new friendly name flyoffs.

May I suggest that you, or someone else from your crew come to our seminar?  You would really save much time as your park moves forward.

Jason, you want to come teach the class?

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.