Topic: Vista release statement

Microsoft's new Vista operating system poses challenges to all but the most simple applications.  This is a brief description of the issues surrounding getting NWare to function under Vista as well as our plan to address them.

The NWare software is actually a sophisticated set of applications that work together with separate components handling the user interface, compiler, and control communications.  One of the areas Microsoft changed for Vista is how data is passed between applications.  Thus, NWare will not function until we modify and test the code to accommodate this.

Another area of change is how application data is stored.  Previously, programs and their associated data were typically stored in the "c:/Program Files" directory.  Under Vista, programs cannot modify data in the "Program Files" directory after an application is installed.  NWare currently stores its default settings, temporary files, and project files in this location.  Vista has new locations for storing this data, the code needs to be modified to use these.

There are several other issues that will need to be resolved as well.  We have started making these changes to the code and we expect to have a fully functional and well tested release no later than spring, 2008.

Re: Vista release statement

Here is Microsoft's official policy regarding the availability of Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feat … cycle.mspx
and
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Bottom line:
As an end user you can buy XP through June 30 2008
As a computer manufacturer, you can sell XP with a system through Jan. 31, 2009

"NWare currently stores its default settings, temporary files, and project files in this location.  Vista has new locations for storing this data, the code needs to be modified to use these."

Just a thought, could some of these paths, specifically the project files paths (and perhaps user devices) be editable by the user?

Thanks,

Joe

Had an interesting side-light today: a dealer had complained that when he updated to NWare1.2.6 on his Vista machine, it no longer worked. It seems that he was running 1.2.4, so that install must have been different in some way. Just fyi.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Joe,
  We will revamp the file storage in the next release.  I'll add your request to the list.

Phil,
  Not sure what to do with this, except 1.2.4 didn't work for us in Vista at all.

As an update to this thread, we will be releasing Vista support this December, sooner than expected.

Do I correctly infer a December 1.4.0 release?
Merry Christmas!

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Phil,

I can confirm that 1.2.5 did work on Vista although the emulator/compiler did not.  It was OK for opening files and browsing them.  The Installer for 1.2.6 checked for Vista and would not let you install it if it found Vista.  I did get it to work a bit by manually copying some files around from another machine but I suspect the installer is what your dealer found.

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks Joe.
I'm quite happy to stay clear of Vista until things settle down a bit; but it's good to know we weren't dreaming about an earlier version appearing to work.

- George Bernard Shaw