Topic: 1.4.0 Alpha 0 Release

You can find an installer for the NWare 1.4.0 alpha 0 release here:

www.peaveyoxford.com/NWare_1.4.0_Alpha_0_WixInstaller.msi

Note that this is an 'alpha' release.  It is not yet "feature complete".  Once we go to beta, we will have locked down all the 1.4.0 features.  Also, be aware that this release has had limited testing, so use at your own risk.  We would appreciate getting any feedback you have as soon as possible, we are on a tight schedule to get the final release out before the end of the year.

Here are the current release notes:

- Windows Vista is now supported.
- Added pre-built logic devices such as "OR" and "XOR".  These are smaller than the ones created by default with the Control Operator device.
- Added more pre-built meters.
- We no longer highlight in orange the signal processing resources that are close to full in the compile results report.  Orange highlighting incorrectly implied a warning.
- Added a new HFO, high frequency oscillator.  This oscillator has a range from 16k to 48k.  Note that you still cannot exceed 1/2 the sampling frequency. 
- The high pass filter on the Automatic Mixers now defaults to 80hz.  Also, you can now easily adjust this.
- The missing Kosmos device bitmap has been added back.
- A new help file has been added.  This is still very incomplete and is a work in process.
- You can now use the Expression Label feature to automatically generate control Aliases.
- Major changes have been made to the Device Menu.  Changes include more pre-built devices, better category names, etc.
- Mono Wave recorders have returned.
- Kiosk enhancements have been made including the optional hiding of the tabs, and elimination of the drawing red selection around controls.
- The USA daylight saving time changes are now supported.
- The NION CobraNet bundle priority was broken (setting was ignored) in previous releases.  This has been fixed.
- The duplicate rows in the CAB 8o device have been removed.

Re: 1.4.0 Alpha 0 Release

Installer did not copy Preferences (I have Inspector turned on, did not turn Inspector on in 1.4.0)

Could not copy any User Devices (Command Line box stuck open, showing that it copied perferences (even though it did not), user scripts XML (which it did, even though "import script" dialog box is empty--doesn't even have the "pre-defined" scripts).  Then the statement; COULD NOT COPY "April 07.device.dat".  There were about seven lines of COULD NOT COPY, each listing a different device, then it stopped as if it was hung, and a dialog box opened saying "user devices could not be copied".  After clicking OK, the Command Line box closed, as did the opening instance of NWare.

NWare restarted fine after this intitial crash, but this is when I discovered the above "missing" elements.

This was on a XP OS, I will try an upgrade on our Vista OS machine tomorrow.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Has the CAB4n Cobranet subchannel mapping been fixed? I was told that this doesn't work correctly in 1.2.6.

The alpha zero should work with 7 (sub)channels out of 8 (don't ask big_smile). The next build will have full support. I'll be quite glad if you could try it out and report when you get around to it...

For those of you that have started testing 1.4, you may have noticed that the Control Blocks now have the same list of "automatic" nodes that the Hierarchical Blocks have, but that none of the nodes appear.  Well, that is a bug that will be fixed in the next release, but the nodes that will appear are Control Nodes.  So what these will be is truley Control Blocks, with both a control page and a schematic page.

The Hierarchical Blocks are now called DSP Blocks, with no change with how these work.  The final change is creating the Panel Blocks to take the place of the original Control Blocks.

Simple enough, but I would like to propose some additional changes, as well as prompt some added feedback from others.  Here is the idea;

Fold up all the "Blocks" under a single heading, called blocks.  Inside the Blocks folder would be found the different types of blocks, just like the Mixer folder.  DSP and the Control Block Folders open up to show the added Input/Output amount folders, with the new Panel block showing up like is does as a selection.  The last would be the Custom... selection.  Now when you bring in the Custom block, you would see the Node type and amount (no change so far), but across the bottom would be three "Create Page" check boxes.  One for Control, one for Schematic, and one for GUI.  Last would be an "Additional Pages" box, which would allow you to add as many pages as you think you need.  This would do away with the Advanced button.

By the way, for those wondering what the difference between a Control and a GUI page...A Control page is where I wire controls together, or add Flyoffs, etc.  The GUI is what the end user sees.

Glad to see the Kosmo bitmap added back in, but the Feedback Ferret logo really needs to be added to the device.  BTW, the logo is Mat's Avatar, and it is trademarked, so it can't be used outside this forum.

Is there another topic on the Device list?  Feel free to move this if there is...

Regarding the device list in 1.4.0a0...

Generally I like the changes and the naming conventions...

1) There is an XControl listing for "4S" and "4S Trigger Mode".  Shouldn't the "4S" be changed to "4S Switch Mode"?
2) Should we consider grouping SnapShots in with Presets?  They seem to be used almost as regularly (from what I've seen in the field).
3) There seems to be a lot of addition of what we call 'old style' devices in the list.  These are devices that have a fixed number of Ins/Outs and take up a lot of space.  We prefer the 'custom' type and use them almost exclusively.  The size of the device list is just cumbersome.  Could there be an 'alternate' device menu with only the Custom types (like an advanced install) instead of all the different iterations for a device?  For example, I don't see a point to having a "DSP/Equalizers/Parametic" folder with 9 entries.  I would rename the 'Custom' parametric device to "Parametric" and put it in the "DSP/Equalizers" folder and get rid of the Parametric folder.  This would greatly reduce the size of the device menu and make it a lot easier to navigate.
4) Using a 'Custom' DSP Block defaults to 1 audio In and 1 audio Out.  Using a 'Custom' Control Block does also - shouldn't it default to control I/O instead?
5) Levels - If there is a motorized crossfader, shouldn't there also be one that isn't motorized?
6) Panners - Can they be named consitantly?  I.E.  2 Way, 3 Way, 4 Way, etc.?
7) Why is the Room Combiner in Control/Tools?  This device obviously uses DSP and should be in that section!
8) Is there no longer a device to link automatic mixer logic together?

Regarding Scott's comments...
If you are proposing that "A Control page is where I wire controls together, or add Flyoffs, etc." then why are you also suggesting to create "Panel Blocks to take the place of the original Control Blocks".  Consistant naming is a big help in understanding how the system works.  I think the way it is in this release is great with DSP and Control blocks.

Thanks,

Joe

PS...  I'm running Vista and haven't had any problems in my tests yet.

Thanks,

Joe

I haven't been able to get subchannel mapping to work at all in the CAB4n. The bundle lights are on like on would expect but that's about it. Trying to swap one subchannel with another in the CAB4n control block results in no change. I was using 4 sine generators at obviously different frequencies on CN outputs 1-4 on the NION. Changing the subchannel mapping in the corresponding CAB output card yielded no difference. i.e. the 1kHz tone should have changed to 5kHz when I reassigned the subchannel on that output but it didn't. Has anyone else had this problem?

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -Socrates

Joe's right about the consistancy...So perhaps a better name for the Panel Block would be GUI Block.

The schematic page is where audio is wired.
The control page is where controls are wired.
The GUI page is what is presented to the end user.

Part of what I like about this forum is the creation and sharing of "Best Practices", so does this meet the test?

2). I agree with moving the Snapshot to the Preset folder.
3). I think most of the advanced users lean Joe's way about custom vs the "prebuilt" devices, but it is helpful to new programmers.
4). Control Blocks currently have several "undocumented features" (in other words...Broke).
7). Joe is right about this one as well, Room Combiner should be in DSP, but where?  As it's own folder?
8). Once you have brought in a Gain Sharing Automixer, and you right click to Device Properties, you will find that you can create the mixer linking nodes.

All in all, I think great strides are being made in correctly organizing the device menu.

Scott,

Thanks for the support - I agree, the forum is a great place to help the products move forward!

Thanks,

Joe

FYI, the new expression label options are great but isn't "Device name" a little misleading?

Technically speaking (to consistancy again) the property that is being changed in a block object is the label property, in a Control the label property.  I suggest this option be changed to "Object label" instead lf "Device name" unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks,

Joe

Beta 1 released.  See here:

http://peaveyoxford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=132