Topic: Password protect web access on the NioNode web interface

Is it possible to put a password on the web access for the Nio nodes? We are using some Kiosk to go stuff and the IP addresses are getting out there. All someone has to do is backspace out the :7681 and they have access to the web interface.

Thanks
Gary

Re: Password protect web access on the NioNode web interface

Hi Gary,

For ultimate security you can just turn off the NION's web interface. This will cause the NION to cease to respond to requests on port 80. It will still work fine for Kiosk2Go purposes.

The only issue with doing this is that to turn the NION's web interface back on, you will need to use the front panel of the NION on the n6, n3, and nX models. You will need to open the unit and connect a front panel board on the nE models.

Otherwise, you can use the web interface's User Accounts page to neuter the superuser account and instantiate your own user accounts with access. However, one shortcoming of this is that it does not stop someone from halting or erasing the role in the NION.

Thanks!
Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Thanks Josh. Is it possible to add this as a feature request? i use the web interface often to check status and what not on the units. I would hate to run around the building just to enable them. Or would it be possible to add the halt role or erase role as a superuser feature or a  permitted user via login? Might make that a bit more secure. It feels a little exposed right now smile

Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary,

There have been a number of changes in how a NION responds to web traffic in the most recent releases. A lot of those changes have to do with Kiosk2Go, but others are in response to network security. I think we will continue to see more progress towards enhancing the security of the NION's web interface as we move forward.

Thanks!
Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios