Topic: NION Cobranet to Dante conversion?

Hey folks,
Two quick questions:
1) Is it possible to upgrade/convert a NION (N3 or N6 in my case) to Dante via a card swap and firmware upgrade?
2) Is there any reason you could not interface a Cobranet and a Dante system via XDAB, i.e. connect two NIONs running each card together to pass audio between the two?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Klein, DMC-E
AV Project Manager/DoD
Technical Director/Faith Baptist Church
Baltimore, Maryland

Re: NION Cobranet to Dante conversion?

Hey Jeff,
You'd have to hear from Peavey for the official line on the upgrade from CobraNet to Dante, but we have upgraded both NIONs and CAB4ns successfully.
Using XDAB to bridge CobraNet and Dante networks has also been done. XDAB master and CobraNet conductor priorities need to be set correctly.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Phil is right, especially about how important it is to keep all the clocks working smoothly.

Fergy

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

There is no Nion firmware upgrade needed to swap between a Cobranet/Dante card unless the installed Nion firmware version does not support Dante.   
Off the top of my head I seem to remember  Dante support came in in 1.6.5 but 1.6.6+ is known to be stable. 
CAB4ns need an EEPROM change to support Dante.
As Phil and Fergie point out -- get the clocking right!  Dante has to provide the clock source and the Dante Nion will therefore have to be clock master.

Thanks, folks, good info. I'm running NWare 1.7.0 currently. Still not sure I we're going that direction, but it was an idea that came up.

Any idea what it would cost to swap out an existing Cobranet daughterboard for the Dante one? Is it field serviceable, i.e., available to me as a professional electronics and AV technician to purchase and install myself? How about the CAB4N eeprom (I have chip replacement tools if it's a socekt variety)?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Klein, DMC-E
AV Project Manager/DoD
Technical Director/Faith Baptist Church
Baltimore, Maryland

jlklein wrote:

Is it field serviceable, i.e., available to me as a professional electronics and AV technician to purchase and install myself? How about the CAB4N eeprom (I have chip replacement tools if it's a socekt variety)?

Hi Jeff,

These parts are readily available to MediaMatrix dealers for their purchase and installation. If this is something you wish to tackle yourself as an end user, I would suggest contacting a local dealer in your area, or if you are not sure who to call, you can contact your local Peavey Commercial Audio Manufacturer's Representative and they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction. If you are not sure who your local rep is, I would be glad to help. You can send me a message or an email using the link on the left, under my name, to let me know where you are, and I can get you in contact with your local rep.

jlklein wrote:

Any idea what it would cost to swap out an existing Cobranet daughterboard for the Dante one?

Unfortunately, you will need to contact your dealer for accurate pricing.

Thanks!
Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios