Topic: Old Media Matrix service help.

Hello all!

I don't know if anyone comes here anymore, but I need some help or tips on trying to rescue my original media matrix.

Ok I purchased a media matrix on Ebay, also a 8840, and an 8848.  The media matrix turned on but was haveing weird communication problems and would reset periodically, then at one point it freaked out and the lcd was garbled and would not longer communicate, except that it would tell me the firmware needed to be updated.

I opened up the Media Matrix, and found that the NiMh battery had leaked onto the PCB, and started corroding the traces.
I replaced a couple of bad sockets, and cleaned up all the traces and contacts, rebuilt a couple traces.   And the unit started working great.

After successfuly running a schematic on my mediamatrix with my 8840, for a couple of weeks.  I shut down the unit for three days.  The LCD went black, and it hasn't worked since.  I can't find any bad traces or components.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting literature, schematics, suggestions etc???

I also have an 8848, but the input seems to be contaminated by the Serial data, I've sampled the wave form it appears to be square wave pulses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Antone-

Re: Old Media Matrix service help.

Hello Antone,

It's hard to say since the unit is very old and has had some board damage
from the battery leak.  It could be a bad micro or EPROM.  The schematics for
MediaMatrix equipment are unpublished and proprietary, so we can't send those out. 
You could send it in to Peavey Service for evaluation to see if it can
be repaired or contact Peavey Service at (601) 483-5365 and ask for
a service tech that repairs the legacy Xframe to get his opinion.

Thanks

Ok, I just wish there were some test points I could check because 1. I'm broke and have no money this is for a personal project.

2. I am an electronic technician, I have scopes and some test gear.

Also I have an x-frame 88 I got to replace it, and I got an 8802 for free it seems to be good except that it won't sync over the ethernet...  Is there anyway to troubleshoot that?  I would love to have both of those working.

I suppose I will have to contact Peavey again I called before the Hollidays and didn't hear much back.  But thanks.

Hi Antone,

I would still do what Duane mentioned and call the tech who works on these things. Tell him that you are also a tech with the appropriate tools and he may have some good suggestions for you. We can't "armchair quarterback" this for you from across the internet. You need to talk to the guys who fix these things for a living. We are a bunch of nice guys from Mississippi, I'm sure he can give you some direction.

The X-Frame 88's connection to the MM 8802 is not an Ethernet connection. Yes, it uses regular Category 5 cable with standard RJ-45 type modular plugs on the end, but it is serial data, not Ethernet networking. You simply plug both the TX and RX from one into the opposing TX and RX of the other using two patch cables. Both cables are required.

Good luck and have fun!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Thanks Josh,

I know its standard RJ-45 but they won't sync, I don't know if its the the host or the bob, thats not working.