Topic: System Fire Mute - with Override function

Here is another handy device that I use WAY more often than I thought I ever would. It is absolutely necessary in most commercial installations to have the fire alarm system mute the audio system when it is activated. There are situations where the audio system is used to supplement that fire alarm system, but that is the exception and not the norm in the USA. So, here is a pretty comprehensive solution to muting the NION system's audio in an alarm situation. It also provides an override button that will allow you to restore the operation of the audio system in spite of the alarm condition, and it provides text feedback regarding all alarm conditions via three text blocks. Normally I will stack the three blocks on top of each other because they all represent mutually exclusive situations and more than one will never be on at the same time.

Here is the text from inside the "Instructions" block within this device:

-FireMute with Override-

To use the Fire Mute with Override:
1. Copy System Mute controls from a NioNode in the project and place them above the "Fire Mute" device
2. Enable a Slave Wiring Node on the System Mute button and connect it to the Output of the "Fire Mute" device
3. Enable a Master Wiring Node on the Muted indicator and connect it to Input 1 of the "Fire Mute" device
4. Connect the Digital Input GPIO pin from the Fire Alarm to Input 2
5. Be sure to turn on the High Current Output pin in the GPIO

Note: Since it is typically desireable to utilize a "Supervised Loop" when connecting to a Fire Alarm system, the audio system is Muted when Input 2 goes low. If you desire to use an "Un-Supervised Loop" place a "NOT" betwixt your GPI Digital Input and Input 2 of this block.

Another Note regarding how to configure the GPIO: The Fire Alarm System generally provides a closed contact that can be either Normally Closed or Normally Open. To configure a "Supervised Loop" for use with this, configure a High Current Output and a Digital Input in the NION's GPIO section. Turn on the High Current Output and use it as a voltage source to send voltage to the Fire Alarm System's contact, you will want to select the contact that is closed for normal operation and opens when the system goes to alarm status. Connect your Digital Input to the other side of this contact.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Fire Mute.npp 33.46 kb, 998 downloads since 2012-12-10 

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios