Topic: How to disable the hover text in NWare / Kiosk

The hover text, is the text that appears by default when you hover over/change a control in NWare or Kiosk, eg. "Mute 1 : off". It may be desirable to turn this text off, particularly for touch screen Kiosk PC's.

To do this, you need the following line in your preferences XML file: <item name="enable_hover" value="false" />. This needs to live with the other <item name... entries under <root> then <preferences>.

The preferences XML file is located in plugins\nware\xml this is called either preferences.xml for NWare or for Kiosk it's kiosk_preferences.xml

I'd suggest making a copy of any XML files before you start modifying them, so you always have an original to revert back to.

Good luck!

Re: How to disable the hover text in NWare / Kiosk

Is this different to User Preferences/"Enable hover popups"?
Or does this select/deselect set the same variable?

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Hi Phil,

Yes, the option in User Preferences is changing this same parameter within the XML file, so that would be the preffered method for changing the setting in NWare. However, this setting does not affect the Kiosk application and as far as I am aware the XML tweak is the only way to change this behaviour.

Ahh, good point.
I did a bit of playing with this and Kiosk, and got inconclusive results (then got sidetracked onto something else that was screaming....)
It seemed that the preference in the project did affect Kiosk, but not sure now.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for the answers. To be honest, I'm also experiencing this problem and didn't know how to fix it. Your suggestion making a copy of any XML files before you start modifying them is really helpful! But I believe that all this can be hurtful for our nature:(URL removed by moderator)  What are your thoughts?