Topic: Cab4n CM1 & CM2 - What's the difference?

The major differences in terms of actual use are:

The CM1 version supports sub-channel mapping the CM2 version does not support this feature
The CM1 version supports 9-bit serial data(Legacy ContolMatrix PCU's) as well as 8-bit serial data,the CM2 version only supports 8-bit

All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.

Re: Cab4n CM1 & CM2 - What's the difference?

Hi James,
Sorry the first post is dissenting!!
I'm pretty sure I've tried sub-channel mapping on a CM2 version (could be wrong- don't have one on my bench right now).
If this is the case, perhaps the NWare device should reflect this (along with the addition of a Dante version, which doesn't support various other things).
Phil

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Phil-

As with the 1RU CABs, you need to go to the device properties and enable advanced subchannel mapping on the CAB 4n CM-2.

It does work. I've personally tested it more than once.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

mmmmm when did I dream this one up?

I have a feeling I've got my wires crossed with the cm1 in the Nion and the inability to perform sub channel mapping under earlier versions of Nware.......

I think the mapping in my brain isn't working!

All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.

Yeah... it is a little bit counter-intuitive.

However, the CM-1 DOES NOT support advanced subchannel mapping in the CAB 4n, while the CM-2 DOES support advanced subchannel mapping in the CAB 4n.

Thus, I am agreeing with Phil that you got that one backwards, James. Otherwise, your comment about the serial support is on the money.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

I just had a request to do RS485 between a CAB16i and a CAB4n-CM2.
Remembering that I'd been confused before I checked the Help file, which says

Note: RS-485 is only supported when the CAB has a CM-1 or DLM installed. If you have the CM-2 card installed, you cannot use RS-485.

By the way, this is in the Device Ref/Hardware/CABxx/Controls/RS485 section of ALL the CABs!

Then I checked this post; then I was more confused!
I'll grab some hardware when I have time, but would like to choose the correct answer to give our customer, please.
Thanks

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Hi Phil-

The CAB 4n CM-2 will support EIA-485 communications, in either 7 or 8 bit format (8-bit is used for PASHA to connect an XControl). It will NOT support 9 bit CA-485 (used in the original ControlMatrix systems), whereas the CAB 4n CM-1 WILL support 9 bit CA-485 (in addition to 7 and 8 bit EIA-485).

There are so many cautions and pitfalls with this stuff. I'll be glad when everything simply connects via Ethernet.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Hi Josh,
Thanks for clarifying.
You mention XControl, which is exactly the need. Any tips/tricks?
Can you please explain RX Channel v RX MAC, and why RX MAC isn't in NWare anymore: it's a long time since I played with this.

- George Bernard Shaw

Phil,
  To access the RX/TX MAC you need to check "RS485 raw mac enable" in the device's advanced properties.  This is documented in the help file (albeit a bit hidden, do a search on "rs485").  Also, from the documentation:

Rx MAC
MAC address of the CobraNet Interface from which SCI data will be accepted. This may be any multicast address except 01:60:2B:FD:00:00 through 01:60:2B:FD:FF:FF, which have been reserved by Cirrus Logic for use as asynchronous global channels.

Tx MAC
MAC address of the CobraNet interface to which serial data is sent. May be any multicast or unicast address.

RX Channel
The number of the receive channel to which this CAB belongs. This CAB will be able to receive serial data from other CABs transmitting on this channel.

TX Channel
The number of the transmit channel to which this CAB belongs. This CAB will be able to transmit serial data to other CABs receiving on this channel.

Essentially, the MAC values are useful if you want to explicitly choose the multi-cast address the serial data should be sent to/received from.