Topic: ControlMatrix For Windows

Hi Joe,

Do I win a prize as first in?
We've seen CMII released at Infocomm, and have looked at the ppt I believe you presented, but we're still a bit confused on what exactly CMII is. Unfortunately, I didn't get up there from Australia.

It seems that the existing PM ControlCentre is still being used (and stations), then we need a CAB16i (or similar) and the nControl look-alike (6 rack units total) at each hub/remote comms rack. How do these connect together?
What will the software look like? Are there new NWare devices?
We have sold quite a bit of PageMatrix over the years, and many projects are shopping malls that don't require the hight-end FIDS etc, but the old star-wired stations were a bit of a limitation.

Thanks.

(Subject edited by JoshM)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Re: ControlMatrix For Windows

Yes, congratulations!  The prize is in the mail... unfortunately we didn't have your address, but it has been sent... somewhere.

Good questions.

The product you're asking about is actually called "ControlMatrix for Windows" ("CMW").  FYI, since the current (QNX-based) CM software is version 5, rather than invent V6, we decided on CMW V1 as an initial release.  BTW, don't let the 'Windows' part scare you... it's an embedded version that is built specifically for this application with stability and security in mind.

CMW is essentially the Next Generation of Control Matrix.  The hardware is based around the "ControlMatrix Host" which functionally takes the place of the Q-Host, A-Host and C-Hosts.  Mechanically, the hardware is very similar to the new N-Control so production and availability should also improve.

The software model follows N-Ware in that it will be available for free download so systems can be configured on a Windows machine, deployed to the hardware and then monitored/controlled.  Obviously, it's been reworked from the ground up and while it maintains the major features of the original CM, it also expands on them and simplifies others.  When the release date is decided, we'll post feature lists and some documentation resources in the forum for public consumption.

What was being shown at InfoComm was a revisit of a few older concepts.  In addition to supporting new paging stations, CMW will eventually be compatible with all of Peavey's existing paging stations - starting with the Page Matrix ("PM") simply because those stations are readily available and are installed in a myriad of facilities.  When using the PM stations, the Command Center is not needed, but is replaced with a newer box (still yet to be named) that is the same footprint as the new CAB (1U / half width).  Essentially this box provides the wiring breakout to four (4) stations with audio and Ethernet connections back to the CM-Host.  From this unit, you can convert the analog outputs to CobraNet or just use plain analog audio audio back to the CM-Host.

In your example...
Each "hub/remote comms rack" - 1 RU of space per 4 paging stations (using the new Cab).
If you have 16 stations, also put the CM-Host in there (which is 3 RUs).
All that gear connected via Ethernet to another comms rack if desired.

The software is improved from the existing CM, and we hope more intuitive - after a short learning curve of course.
Yes, new NWare devices - much simpler and more flexible.

I hope this answers most of your questions, for now?  Please check back here in the coming weeks as more unfolds with the new product!

Thanks,

Joe

Phil-

I hope you don't mind... I changed the subject of this thread to the correct naming convention. I just want to try to maintain as little confusion as possible, we have enough as it is.

wink

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Just saw CMW gui in Singapore (sorry you didn't make it, Joe).
Looks like it will be very friendly, as you say.

On the un-named box (PM station interface), a few thoughts:
1. I'd vote for 8 ports
2. why not go 8 ports, CM-2, 8 analogue out?
3. or even as above but DANTE? Could then use DVS in CMHost, and have only one network to worry about.
4. if CM-2 seems a bad idea, the box could be EITHER Dante, or by swapping out that card, and passing the analogue through from the Stations, the box would be back to the original idea as an adjunct to a CAB

Feel free to close this down if the hardware is already fully defined. roll

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Any more info available?

- George Bernard Shaw

The hardware is semi-fully defined... how's that for non-committal?

We're still considering 8 channels, the cost and space on the back panel will dictate.  The original design of 4 was based on having the unit next to a CAB 8n with 4 paging stations and 4 ambient mics.  That may not be feasable in every job, so it's still a bit open but we're considering 8 also.

The current design proposes the audio 'output' board to be interchangable between analog (for use with a CAB), CobraNet, Dante and 'something else'... which we can't comment on at this time.  wink

Thanks,

Joe

Oh, another thing, email me if you would like to be on the Beta Testers Google Group!!

Thanks,

Joe