Topic: Crestron Integration with Nion?

I was curious if anyone knows of a good resource that outlines what crestron "needs" from the Nware/Nion program in order to control it.  I know that this is probably quite an in depth question,  but the crestron programmer I will be working with has never interfaced with a Nion before and vice versa.  I know about importing control scripts and linking them to controls, but of course have no real experience in making the entire process happen.   Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Crestron Integration with Nion?

If you are going to use Ethernet to control the Nion, check out Nware's documentation on RATC. RATC is a simple, text based protocol that is implemented over TCP/IP. The use of Python control scripts within the Nion is not required.

If your programmer is stuck, I'll be able to send/post a couple of samples of Crestron code to play with.
As mentioned though, the RATC documentation is good. Just play with an Emulated NWare project, and Hyperterminal to see how things work.

We find that 'cps' works best for level controls, and 'cs' for routers and switches. That's about all you want to give the average user with a touch panel.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Don't forget your job of setting the Control Aliases...As a reminder, here is the process;

Right click on the control that you want to externally control, go to the "Wire" tab, and you will find the Control Alias.  You can use friendly names, or just numbers, but you CAN'T use spaces or any symbol that Linux might think is a command.

You will also want to add a User Account just for RC.  I give defaultuser Network Access in the beginning, to make it easier for the Programmer to set up the Telnet session, and to test their commands.  Once the Programmer starts to get the commands working, the next step is to comfirm that he/she is logging in with the correct User Account (look at the Remote Log tab for this), and then shut down the Network Access for the defaultuser.

I hand the Programmer the few pages from Remote Control RATC2 in the Help Files, and say "Read this, and then ask any questions you might have."  When they then ask a question, I say "You didn't read what I gave you, did ya."

Phil, didya know that cs (controlalias) ++3  or --3 will step the level up/down 3 dB from the current level?

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Several companies publish Crestron (AMX, Xantech, C#) modules (symbols) to control various aspects of NION/MediaMatrix.  In some cases, they include cheat sheets and/or NION blocks that can just be dropped into the control system and npa to provide a quick start.  [shameless plug] Our company has several available, if you would like more information, email me.[/shameless plug]

Thanks,

Joe

Shameless plugs are allowed (perhaps welcomed) on this site.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Thanks, I was going with the 'better to beg forgiveness than ask permission' motto.  Happy you confirmed!

Thanks,

Joe

Great information.. thank you everyone for the feedback.   I did find the control alias field for the individual controls.  I will find the documentation on RATC and go from there.   

I may be emailing you Joe.  smile   

Thanks again!

Don't forget Expression Labelling for Alias'; it's a great time-saver!!

And thanks Scott for reminding me of the "cs (alias) ++2" revelation from class!

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw