Topic: Crest Audio CKi amp NexSys 4 with NION

Dear all,

How do I integrate the Crest Audio CKi amp (c/w NxCobranet Module) NexSys 4 with NION processor?

Because in the N-ware, there seems to be no way I can input the Crest CKi as hardware.

Thanks!

Power is nothing without control!

Re: Crest Audio CKi amp NexSys 4 with NION

That is correct. There is currently no implementation of the Crest Audio CKi power amplifier in the NWare software.

However...

With the release of NWare 1.5.0 there will be a new section in the device list in NWare under "Hardware" specifically for two different devices for the CKi power amplifier. One device will be for a single amplifier only and the other device will be for a stack of amplifiers. It should be noted, however, that the number of amplifiers that can be controlled by a single NION will be limited. You can NOT have 10 or 20 amplifiers all controlled by a single NION. NexSys will not be required as a separate software installation for this to work.

NWare 1.5.0 will be released Q1 2009. If your schedule is more aggressive than that and you are interested in helping test this functionality, please let me know and I will see what can be done.

macholoi- If you could, please fill out your profile and add a few things like your name and location so I know who you are. -Thanks!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

I am currently working on a proposed network that will requires a control of 32 CKi network amp through Cobranet & Nexsys. Is there any alternative if I will still to implement the system using NION? if not, what is the best alternative option?

Also, I will like to help test out the functionality of the integration with CKi amp if the project is confirmed.

Many thanks..

The most correct way to accomplish what you desire to do would be to install an nControl along with your NIONs.

The nControl can take over the job of administrating the control information for all of the amplifiers along with any CABs and any Python scripting that you are doing in this project. This will relieve the NIONs of these "business" tasks and let them concentrate on distributing the audio. If you are not aware, the nControl is a hardware replacement for the ConMan software. nControl has not been officially released yet, however development is ongoing and you are welcome to purchase a ConMan license to use until the nControl is available.

How many NIONs are you using in this system? How many CABs? If you can keep the number of amplifiers and CABs assigned to each NION at eight or under, you should be able to get the system working well without the nControl, even though using an nControl would be the better way to get the job done. You must remember to do device assignment on each one and assign it to the appropriate NION.

I hope this helps!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

One added note to Josh's post.  The NioNodes will be controlling the amps thru the LAN port, not the CobraNet CM-1 port.  So to be able to control amps, you will need to have a router in place, or use a single network for both Control and CobraNet (not recommended for anything but the very small system).  The new nControl will have two LANs, so it can be it's own gateway between Control and CobraNet.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

Thank you for the informative reply!

Crest Audio CKi amps with NxCobranet Module card installed should enables the Nexsys control and Cobranet audio to be sent to the amp using 1 single RJ-45 ethernet cable. Hence, how should I integrate both control and cobranet audio from the NioNodes to the amp?

It is indeed a single physical connection, but that does not require that the logical data flow originate from a single host. The Cobranet audio can be coming from one device(a NioNode for example), and the control information can be exchanged with the nControl. I don't know much about the nControl, but I would try to make sure it has either two physical LAN connections or a NIC that is capable of trunking(assuming a managed switch), the latter of course being much cooler. That way you can keep your Cobranet and control networks separate as much as possible. If NexSys uses a Layer 3 protcol, you probably wouldn't need to be that fancy with the nControl and can simply use a Layer 3 switch.

Last edited by jvalenzuela (2008-10-30 13:05:41)

Is there anywhere I can find out more details for the nControl? If not, I assume I will need to get the Q-host hardware to run ConMan to control all the CKi amps?

Thanks for all e help guys!

Q-Host runs QNX as the operating system, so ControlManager will not run with a Q-Host.  If you would like to see a little of what nControl will do, look at the ControlManager Primer in NWare help files.

Yes Jason, nControl will have two LAN ports, and bridging two networks will be the recommended path (I'm a firm believer in KISS, Keep It Simple, Silly).  The final specs are not completed, but trunking is on the list of requested specs, so nControl should be able to do the fancy stuff as well.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

No. You can NOT use a Q-Host to run ConMan.

Q-Host uses the QNX operating system.

ConMan requires a Windows operating system.

ConMan WILL NOT RUN on the Q-Host!!!

nControl is a new control processing box that will be running Windows XP Embedded. No keyboard, mouse, or monitor is required. You simply plug it in and deploy to it. It is a new product, currently under development, and does not have a scheduled release date.

If you need to get something up and going right now, I recommend getting ConMan and installing some sort of PC for it to run on.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

sorry i mixed up control manager and control matrix. :-) Can i say that the control manager need to buy a licence key to run? (that is what it seems to me through the manual)

Yes, that would be an accurate statement.

If you would like to buy a ConMan license, you can run ConMan on whatever Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 PC/server you would like.

However, if you would like to buy an nControl, no additional ConMan license would be required. You get the server grade hardware with the embedded operating system and all the MediaMatrix control functionality for NIONs and CABs, and expanded Python programming ability. This would include the newer version of the ConMan software.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

JoshM wrote:

and expanded Python programming ability

o.0

What are the differences between the Python implementation in a NioNode and that of ConMan?

JoshM wrote:

running Windows XP Embedded  ..... <snip> .... server grade hardware

I'm just going to leave that one alone..... wink

jvalenzuela wrote:
JoshM wrote:

o.0

What are the differences between the Python implementation in a NioNode and that of ConMan?

There are none... right now. This gives you the ability to run all those Python scripts you were crashing the NIONs with. But, you already knew that since you are using ConMan right now.

Is there something special you would like to see added?

If so, please let us know. Since we are building nControl, we might be able to add it... maybe. But we don't know what you want unless you tell us.

So out with it already!!!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

jvalenzuela wrote:
JoshM wrote:

running Windows XP Embedded  ..... <snip> .... server grade hardware

I'm just going to leave that one alone..... wink

Go ahead, give it all you've got. I can take it, I'm a big boy.

Do you forsee an issue with running Windows XP Embedded on server grade hardware?

The whole idea was to have a high quality machine that will not die easily. That is tough to find on the PC market these days with all the junk that is out there. We wanted something big, brawny and extremely capable. Anyhow, please, go ahead and share your thoughts. Or, if you don't want to put them up here, go ahead and email them to me. I would very much like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

-Josh

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Hi macholoi , do you find the resolvent for the Cki amp's control ? i can give you a cheaper way for you reference
download an NexSys 4 module for MWare that can setting up all of parameter for your Cki amps, then, program a python script with some needed buttons or meters for operator GUI in your NWare that script  should be communication with MWare over RATC on IP 127.0.0.1 and 1632 port. if it running becomes too slow, you can try using an emulated Nware to do the control and using the ProjectLink up link to NION
thanks

jvalenzuela wrote:
JoshM wrote:

o.0

FYI-

I heard the other day that there will be a much more comprehensive write up of the Python implementation in the 1.5.0 release of NWare.

Again I ask you, are there any specific libraries that you would like to see added, or other tools you would like to use?

Please, I really do want to know!

Thanks!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

JoshM wrote:

Again I ask you, are there any specific libraries that you would like to see added, or other tools you would like to use?

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/

oh... of course... you want the kitchen sink too!  big_smile  There is nothing wrong with that, but from what I understand, at the moment we can include everything up through version 2.4. I'll ask some questions about why and I'll get back to you.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

JoshM wrote:

That is correct. There is currently no implementation of the Crest Audio CKi power amplifier in the NWare software.

However...

With the release of NWare 1.5.0 there will be a new section in the device list in NWare under "Hardware" specifically for two different devices for the CKi power amplifier. One device will be for a single amplifier only and the other device will be for a stack of amplifiers. It should be noted, however, that the number of amplifiers that can be controlled by a single NION will be limited. You can NOT have 10 or 20 amplifiers all controlled by a single NION. NexSys will not be required as a separate software installation for this to work.

NWare 1.5.0 will be released Q1 2009. If your schedule is more aggressive than that and you are interested in helping test this functionality, please let me know and I will see what can be done.

macholoi- If you could, please fill out your profile and add a few things like your name and location so I know who you are. -Thanks!

I'm using NWARE 1.6.5 and NION N6.
Can you confirm how many CKi and other devices (cab 8i ...) can be controlled in one N6 project ?
Are these limits officially written in the manual or the web ?
Thanks