Topic: CAB 8i working with other manufacturer

Hi,

Did  any one tried CAB 8i & CAB 8o as cobranet input out put device for YAMAHA mixer with  cobranet?

Re: CAB 8i working with other manufacturer

Hello-

It is very common to mix different brands of equipment on a CobraNet network and have them share audio.

It works fine, though you need to use the various manufacturer's methods to assign bundle numbers and control the various units. This will be the only issue if you want to use the CAB's only (without a NION, nControl or nTouch 180++) with a Yamaha device. You will not have a method to control the input and output gains, phantom power and mutes on the MediaMatrix products. You could use CobraNet Discovery (Disco) to set the bundle numbers.

However, you can add an nTouch 180++ and use it purely for control of the CAB's. This actually works very well.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Hi Josh,

Thank you verymuch for your help. is there any option in Mware to change the conductor prioity?

Hello-

Yes. In both MWare and NWare there are advanced options to adjust the Conductor Priority of any attached MediaMatrix device.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Thank you Josh!

Hi Josh,

I was using Cobranet Discovery for bundle assignment. The Cab 8i s are configured in Multi Unicast Mode( We have 2 Cobranet devises ,Miniframeâ„¢ II 280c & YAMAHA MY 16 recieving same inputs from CAB 8i). but after Power OFF  On Cycle , its going "never multicast mode" .

Hello!

You should use the Miniframe to control all aspects of the CAB 8i. You can use CobraNet Channel Routing for the CAB 8i in MWare to set up two unicast bundles from the CAB 8i. This way both the Miniframe and the Yamaha card can receive a different bundle from the CAB 8i, but both bundles will have the same audio. Inside the CAB 8i taxi device in MWare, use "Ctrl+r" to display everything available in the window. There is a block inside the CAB Taxi called "CobraNet Channel Routing" that will allow you to configure all 4 transmitting bundles from the CAB 8i. You should notice that Transmitter A is configured by the "Network Bundle" field in the main part of the screen. I would use this bundle to connect to the Miniframe. Inside the CobraNet Channel Routing block you can configure Transmitter B with another bundle number to connect to the Yamaha CobraNet interface.

The problem you are having is that when any CAB is powered on, it does not remember any of the settings it was given when it was previously powered up. This is fine because you should have something (in this case the Miniframe) managing the CAB anyway. This way the CAB will always load its configuration from the Miniframe and you do not need to use CobraNet Discovery to configure it. CobraNet Discovery is a great troubleshooting tool to help find problems with the CobraNet network, but it should not be used to configure MediaMatrix devices on the network. The CobraNet configuration of all MediaMatrix devices is done through the MediaMatrix software (either MWare or NWare, depending on what hardware you are using). It is generally not a good idea to turn on the "Persistence" checkbox from within CobraNet Discovery.

A quick note regarding the Yamaha CobraNet cards:
-The original Yamaha CobraNet MY card (I can't find the model number of it) was required to be loaded in the first card slot in the Yamaha product AND it was required to configure the Yamaha product to use this card as the master clock for the Yamaha product AND the Yamaha CobraNet MY card had to be the Conductor (master clock) for the CobraNet network.
-The newer, current Yamaha CobraNet MY card, the MY16-CII does not have to be the Conductor for the CobraNet network. However, I do believe the other two requirements must still be met for everything to work correctly and glitch free.

Good luck and have fun!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Josh,
The Yamaha MYCN-II does not have to be in the first slot to work.  I have 2 in my PM5D in slot 3 and 4.  Also, have an 01v96 with a MYCN-II card on the same network as an X--Bridge going to an X-Frame.  The Console card in slot 3 does not have to be the conductor for this to work, but thats how I have it set up.  Also, I have the board clocked from an external source ( Big Ben).  So either the MYCN-II card gets clock fron the console, or the card is the master, but uses sample rate convertoers to isolate the clock.  Either way.  All is happy. BTW, I clock the 01v-96 from the MYCN-II slot card. for sync.   You can use Disco to configure the MYCN-II or Yamaha's free utiliy.  Yamaha's freebie is limited to 4 Cobranet devices.

The first gen card is the conductor and cannot be changed.  Even in Disco.  That card lasted a short time.  When we bought our PM5D, we bought those orignal cards with it.  Yamaha eventually gave us the MYCN-II because of those issues.

E.B.A.  It's a way of life!

That's great to know Larry! I have had somewhat limited experience with Yamaha's CobraNet hardware, but I do know that the first generation card had some very serious issues when it came to playing nice with other systems. Thank you for filling in some knowledge with first hand experience!

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Hi

Adding to the topic, we have a project in which some of the input modules are from atterotech In Box X2 with Nion N6. Any iputs on this topic will be a great help for us on our project

What kind of input are you looking for ragesh?

I'm sure it will work with no issues... the only things I can think of that may be an issue is if you are only using a NION you will not be able to control whatever SNMP variables the AtteroTech box allows you to manipulate. You would need to use an nControl or an nTouch 180++ to allow the SNMP control functions to happen. Otherwise, of course you can use Attero's software to set the units up and leave it at that. It should work very well.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios