Re: Looking for HF2 error data - Important

I found a spare laptop and loaded up Wireshark. I'm planning on leaving it connected at the site to capture all non-Ethernet 0x8819 frames from a port that is mirrored to the device that keeps locking up. Hopefully I can go back after a failure and see something interesting.

I've had some more HF2 failures, but the network analyzer has not captured any non-Cobranet traffic, save for the periodic bootp requests which are quite infrequent. By chance I did happen to notice a difference between the Nion that is failing and the one that is not, temperature. The one that always faults is running at 53 degrees while the other n3 is running at 41 as reported by the front panel temperature display. These two units are mounted next to each other in adjacent racks that are bolted together. The racks are open between each other, so there is no difference in cooling or internal rack air temperature between the two racks. Is this range of temperature normal?

I'm not sure what the case temp should be. But 53 sounds high. I will see if we have any data on that. In the meantime is there anything you can do to get the temp down? Are all the fans running properly?  Try to get the temp down and see if that has an effect on the HF2 err.

Nihilism is best done by professionals

I checked both Nions, the one running at 53 and the other at 40 degrees. Both appear to be drawing air in the front and both of their power supply fans are running. I don't know if there are any other fans. I loaded a dummy project with no processing at all and that didn't seem to make a difference.

Jason.  The 53 degrees reading clearly seems high; I think we all agree on that.  Can you try to get the temp down? Possibly remove the NION from the rack, pop the top and blow air on it. I think it would be useful to try and isolate temperature as a factor in the HF2 errors you are seeing. If you can get it cooler and the errors stop then that tells us something. After that, determining why the box is running so hot and how to fix it become issues apart from the HF2 issue.

Nihilism is best done by professionals

I returned to the site today to see if I could look further into the temperature differences. I pulled the failing n3 out of the rack and placed it on a table. Before I pulled it and while it sat on the table, it would run at about 53 degrees while the other n3, which has never exhibited this problem, runs at about 38 degrees. I removed the top cover to check out the fans, the three of which I could see appeared to be working properly. As soon as I removed the cover, the temperature as reported via the front panel began to drop. I reinstalled the unit in the rack without its top cover and let it warm up for a few minutes. Its temperature leveled off at about 42 degrees. Given that it has four input cards as compared to the other unit with three output cards, that may account for the slightly elevated temperature. I've left it like that and we'll see what happens....