Topic: Kiosk automation

To continue the thread begun under General >> NWare1.4.2

My testing indicates that the control line switches described in Logging on and loading a project automatically no longer work. Can someone confirm/correct?

The other point about the location of the personality file is that there are 3 options that I've found:
1. put the personality file in the same directory as NWare.exe
2. put the full path name in the Shortcut's Target
3. put the path to the personality file in the Start In: box in the Shortcut

This works (with the personality file in C:\kiosk, and this path in Start In

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2\NWare.exe" /personality=nware_kiosk  config2.xml

I also find that I need the .xml extension in the Target, otherwise I get a file open failure error message.
This doesn't work for me

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2\NWare.exe" /personality=nware_kiosk  config2

Hope this helps,
Phil

Last edited by phils (2008-05-28 23:57:06)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Kiosk automation

Hi,

I did some checking with the final 1.4.2 release.

NWare Kiosk only version
================

I found that when the shortcut "Target" is set to:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare Kiosk 1.4.2\NWare.exe" /user=andy /pass=andy /open="myproj"

and the "Start in" is set to:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare Kiosk 1.4.2\"

it works successfully.

NWare full version
============

I found that when the shortcut "Target" is set to:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2\NWare.exe" /personality=nware_kiosk /user=andy /pass=andy /open="myproj"

and the "Start in" is set to:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2\"

it works successfully.

Personality files
==========

The .xml is required on the name of the personality file. For example (Kiosk-only NWare):

Target:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare Kiosk 1.4.2\NWare.exe" andy.xml

Start in:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare Kiosk 1.4.2\"

OR (Full NWare)
-------------------

Target:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2\NWare.exe" /personality=nware_kiosk andy.xml

Start in:

So the docs ought to show the .xml extension for the personality file, but the "Logging on and loading a project automatically" topic is ok: http://peaveyoxford.com/KC/3837.htm

Andy.

Thanks for checking this Andy: I'll have to review what I was doing with the command line switches - not sure what I was doing wrong. Sorry about wasting your time.

On the personality file: were you putting it in the program files directory? We had the view that it's not necessarily a good idea to have people poking around in there, so that's why we were looking at putting it elsewhere. If this is unreasonable paranoia, my complications don't matter.

thanks

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

No probs. It is great to hear you are trying things out and letting me know, so I can check the manuals.

I tried putting the xml file in the "C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2" directory and in "c:\". It seems to work OK in both (as long as you tweak the shortcut properties, of course).

Here's my shortcut "Target" setting for an xml file in the root folder on c drive:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2\NWare.exe" /personality=nware_kiosk c:\andy.xml

The "Start in" is set to:

Hi Andy,
Just did a bit more experimenting: the control line switches didn't work for me because I had spaces around the '='

/user = user1

When I fixed this, all good. This could be clearer in the KC: example is correct, but syntax statements do have spaces.

On the "Start in:" question: I found that rather than adding the full path to the .xml in the command line, you can just have the .xml, and point to it using Start in:

"C:\Program Files\MediaMatrix\NWare 1.4.2\NWare.exe" /personality=nware_kiosk  config2.xml

with Start in:

C:\kiosk

This points to config2.xml in C:\kiosk; and seems cleaner to me(?).

Hope this clarifies.

- George Bernard Shaw