Topic: NWare 1.4.2 Beta 1

NWare 1.4.2 beta 1 has been released.   Please download and test it, we are looking release this soon so let us know immediately what you find!

NION 1.4.2 Beta Release Notes (April 24, 2008)
==============================

The release may be found and downloaded from here:

peaveyoxford.com/NWare_142_beta_1.msi

1. Made improvements to the time and time zone synchronization support.  Previously time was synchronized between units but timezone was not.  This is no longer the case.

2. Synchronization to a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server is now supported in the NION.  This allows NIONs to be accurately synchronized to either a local time server or one on the Internet.  To use this, first set the athourity to "Time Server".  Then enter a valid NTP server address.  Information about choosing a time server may be found here:

http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

If your NION is connected to the internet, pool.ntp.org works well.  Note that if you are using a static IP address, you must enter a DNS IP address.  If you use DHCP, this is automatically entered for you.  Note that you only need to set one NION to use an NTP server.  All the others will automatically get their time from the NION using NTP.

3. Added a way to set DNS from the front panel and web interface.  This is only sometimes necessary for using NTP.

4. The time domain entry has been removed.  This was never used and adds no functionality.  Note that NIONs running older firmware WILL NOT synchronize time with NIONs running this release (and later). 

5. The software no longer refers to the "Front Panel Serial Port" as it was moved in current generation NIONs to the rear.  It is now called the "RS232 Serial Port".

6. Previously, when the NION booted, it was possible for a character received via the RS232 port to interrupt the boot process and cause it enter a debug console mode.   This caused problems in systems that used a control device to poll the NION.  Now,  only the <DEL> character can interrupt the boot process.  This character is not used in normal control protocols.  It is possible to change this to another character (or sequence of characters) by setting an environment variable, bootstopkey, in the flash.

7. Disconnecting the CobraNet cable from a NION no longer causes an XDAB re-arbitration unless the cable is disconnected from the XDAB leader.

8. NWare would fail on windows Vista systems when the user had non-western characters in the login name.  This has been fixed.  Note that NWare still does not support Windows path names with non-western characters.

Note: When you upgrade NWare to version 1.4.2, only the user preferences for the currently logged on user will be copied from the previous version. It is not possible to copy settings for other users who have logged on to the PC and used NWare. Version 1.4.2 of NWare (and future versions) will only store user preferences for a single user on the PC.

9. Previously, when you right-clicked the Find Results tab at the bottom of the NWare window, the application closed unexpectedly.  Fixed now.

10. CTRL+F4 closes an open block.  This is consistant with windows.  ESC also has been used to close a block.  It still does but we will remove this later.

11. You can now hide the tabs at the bottom of the NWare Kiosk screen by adding this tag to the personality file:
    <hide_root_tab value = "true" />

12. F1 now brings up NWare help.  Note that you may need to click in the design area first.

13. Various display issues with the NWare devices have been fixed.  For example, the wavefile player device was too small to display the text properly.

14. Various spelling errors corrected (including several cases of UK spellings sneaking in). 

15. Help system is now more complete.  The Hardware Manual is now integrated and searchable.  All manuals are also included in PDF form for ease of printing.

NOTE:
To uninstall NWare under Windows Vista, you must do the following:

1. Right-click on the MSI file that you used to install NWare to bring up the shortcut menu.
2. Click Uninstall.

Re: NWare 1.4.2 Beta 1

first observation: the download is 9MB bigger; is this going to be a trend?

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

3Mb of it is due to the help file...

Is the installer file size a problem?  We plan on adding more help and eventually extra example projects.  So yes, I expect it to continue to increase.

Just a passing comment, not a problem.
Help and examples are great!!
I guess it's just something to watch v the competition, and given that not everyone has immediate access to fast broadband.
We do try to burn CDs for distribution, but that doesn't help when there are new revisions (something else that I think is great, just to be clear!). smile

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
                                                                                        - George Bernard Shaw

8><----

"10. CTRL+F4 closes an open block.  This is consistant with windows.  ESC also has been used to close a block.  It still does but we will remove this later."

Please don't remove the ESC key, it is so easy...
Could we have a button device (or something similar) that would close the opened block when hit! This would be useful for touchscreen users because hitting the small closing cross (top right of the window) is sometimes difficult. Also having a mean to define size and position of this window would be great.

Thanks

--
Raphaël.

8><----

--
Raphaël Bollen
Ampco Belgium.

I've just had a small play with nX32: looks good. Thanks to all concerned!

A few comments - more about user interface.

2. Time synch works for me. This is great! Had 2 calls today, and brought smiles when I hinted this coming.
9. Hadn't really looked here: what does AutoNumber do?
12. It would be good if Contents rather than Index was open in initial view;
     Lower scroll bar appears for no obvious reason
     How do you print whole manuals in pdf?

Expression Label toolbar Icon doesn't work when flyoffs selected; does for labels and alias'.

- George Bernard Shaw

My upgrade install copied Preferences, User Devices, and User Scripts from 1.2.6, not 1.4.1.

Has anyone else seen this, or is it just my 1.4.1 install.  Remember, as Ivor says, I paid to break this stuff, so it may be that my register is pointing to 1.2.6 as the lastest install, instead of 1.4.1.

Thanks

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

We've confirmed this is an issue and are looking at it.

phils wrote:

I've just had a small play with nX32: looks good. Thanks to all concerned!

A few comments - more about user interface.

2. Time synch works for me. This is great! Had 2 calls today, and brought smiles when I hinted this coming.
9. Hadn't really looked here: what does AutoNumber do?

Expression Label toolbar Icon doesn't work when flyoffs selected; does for labels and alias'.

Phil,
  2: glad it works for you.
  9: Interesting.  It does nothing and should be removed.  Same with Rename.  Note that these appear if you do a find on flyoffs.
12: Agree about contents vs index.  Agree about the scroll bar.  Clicking on the manuals links should open them in a pdf viewer (as opposed to in the help file).  We'll investigate.

I don't think this is a problem, because Josh can't reproduce this problem, but...

When I do a Find, an unexpected shutdown occurs.  Restart, same problem.  Started a new project, same.

I believe it is just my install, and I will un-install and do a clean install to confirm.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

The first problem with the index displaying instead of the contents requires a software fix. We will need to look at this in a future release.

The scroll bar problem will be fixed for the next build of the help.

When a PDF loads in the help window, there should be a toolbar displayed at the top. This has a print button on the left-hand side, enabling you to print individual pages or the entire manual, as you normally would from within Acrobat Reader.

If you do not have this toolbar, try upgrading Acrobat Reader to the latest version:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html