Topic: Advanced? DSP Devices

Hello everyone,

As you may be aware, we've decided to hide a few of the devices from the DSP, Advanced/Various folder because they are either incomplete or do not add much functionality.

When we look at the list of the remaining devices, however, we realise that they are not particularly advanced: hard and soft clippers, detectors, diagnostics, multipliers and a couple of others.

Some of us think that we should rename this folder to Tools, as it is more descriptive of what's left in the folder.

But others think that we should still call it Advanced, because it's only going to be used by advanced users....

What do you think?

Re: Advanced? DSP Devices

Since we don't have a list of what is to remain in the Advanced Folder, it is difficult to speak to this topic.

I like having a "Tools" Folder, and there are several devices that could be put in that catagory.  I believe that we should not have the Advance folder in the default personality, but only in the nion++ personality.  Then we should have a Tools folder to put the Signal Probe and other tools that will come later.  I would also suggest that all of the Advanced folders that are under the Delays, Filters, and Generators be moved to the Advanced folder.

This keeps in place that only the default feature sets are taught in the class.  We show how to start NWare in different personalities, and can quickly show the extra stuff that is available.  But these are "Guru" tools, so don't call us for support on advanced devices unless you are one (or have a PO).

If we have a Tools folder, then DTMF, Generators, and Wave Player/Recorder should be moved to this folder.  We get tech support calls asking "why doesn't such and such work in Emulation mode"?  By having this list of devices in a Tools folder, it will be easier to re-enforce and remind in class and on the phone (and maybe as a line inside the folder?) that these devices must be Deployed to DSP.

Make it intuitive, never leave them guessing.

I think I would like to see a comprehensive list of which devices you guys are planning to hide, and which devices will be left.

Certainly, from the list in the post above, "Tools" does seem a bit more appropriate.

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Hi again,

Sorry, I thought it was common knowledge what was getting dumped. The remaining items in the Advanced folder are the:

Detectors folder (all)
Diagnostics folder (all)
Sample Rate Converters folder (all)
Full-Wave Rectifier
Hard Clipper
Soft Clipper
Multi-channel Multiplier
Multiplier
Octave Divider
Signal Probe

What's being hidden:
Bit-to-Word and Word-to-Bit Converters
Envelope follower
Feedback Cycle Breaker
Integrator and Differentiator
Nth Order Filter
Pitch Shifter
Variable Downsampler
Zero-Order Hold Downsampler

From the Delays folder:
Alignment Delay is being hidden

Where would the soft and hard clippers fit into the schema then?

Given this list of devices that will be in the folder, "Tools" certainly seems like a good label... because that is what they are... tools. Granted, perhaps not often used tools, especially by the novice user, but they are necessary tools all the same.

Perhaps "Advanced Tools" may even be appropriate?

Josh Millward
Burnt Orange Studios

Does anybody else think the 'signal probe' should not be an advanced device?   ...or at least be in the 'diagnostics' folder?

Thanks,

Joe

I agree with Joe, the signal probe is such a frequently used device it should not be hidden away.

I second the idea that the Signal Probe is an essential everyday tool and should not be hidden.

Thanks!

Dave

Is everyone happy with where the probe is now (under tools)?  How about the rest of the changes in Beta 1?

-Charles